Thursday, December 29, 2011

Utah!

This is another late post. Our family went to Utah in September... That was a fun birthday present. We visited our grandparents who live on Cedar mountain in a cabin. In front of their cabin is a road, and across the road is a meadow. The meadow isn't too terribly wide; you could see the opposite road from my Grandma's and Grandpa's cabin. Anyway, one day I got permission to take the kids on a little hike through the meadow. I took Mimi and Josh the first time, I think. Then we discovered a stream. It was pretty small and shallow, although a bit long; at its deepest point, it came up to around my waist. Luckily, we had brought along some good, long hiking sticks or branches (there's a small forest of Quaking Aspens next to the cabin), so we were able to measure how deep the water would be. Josh, Mimi and I returned to the cabin where Willsie and Caleb were helping Grandpa start the s'mores. I persuaded the two of them to come hiking with us.

So, after the s'mores, the five of us grabbed our sticks, some water, walked across the road, and headed down the small, steep hill. I led everyone to one of my favorite areas of the meadow; it was my favorite because the grass was slightly taller than me. It towered above my siblings. We didn't get very far, though, because Willsie was too wet. Four-year-olds who have their feet soaked, trudging through grass (both short and tall), and attempting to jump over tiny streams aren't typically happy. So we headed back to the cabin. Caleb decided to stay back at the cabin. So then it was just Josh, Mimi and me.


This is a little collage that I put together. And by the way, Grandma's and Grandpa's cabin isn't in any of these pictures. There are other cabins, though.

We followed the stream for awhile and came to a bigger pool where the water crossed under the road. That was where the deepest water was. I waded to the middle of the pool and the water was a little above my waist. In some of the pictures, Mimi is soaked. That's because she dunked in the pool, after slipping by accident two or three times.

The water was pretty cold, but before long, we became used to it. Besides, once you're soaked, it doesn't really matter if you splash through even more water. All the same, we ended up avoiding the stream most of the way back to the cabin. That had to have been one of my favorite things about that vacation.

0 comments: